Quinoa is a grain that you should get familiar with if you’re just starting a vegan diet. It’s a great rice replacement and cooks in about half the time. They come in three varieties red,white and black. For this recipe I used red and white. The white one tastes the best in my opinion,it cooks up more fluffier.
I used golden beets for this recipe as well,I prefer using them because they don’t bleed into the other ingredients and give you all of the flavor of the red ones. I can’t forget to mention the skinny baby carrots that I used. I never had them before and they were delicious and a little more flavorful then the regular ones. It’s good to try new vegetables,you never know if you might find a new favorite.
I decided to pair this easy vegan recipe with another one. I made scrambled tofu,a dish that I make often for myself and my family. If you’ve never had it, or written it off as a watery, flavorless- mass of vegan protein, let me try to change your mind. Tofu really is the bomb.com if you know how to cook it. It’s all about squeezing as much water as you can out of it and then seasoning it flavor-fully. Then you will have a cheap source of protein at your fingertips to cook up in anyway that you like.
Try this easy vegan recipe especially when you have tons of hearty vegetables on hand. You can substitute the beets and carrots for squash or chickpeas. It’s all up to you.
Thank you so much for stopping by. I am a chef and work regularly however I will try to keep this blog updated. I am currently having my blog’s recipe index created as well as my share buttons. I hope that it will help you navigate my recipes the blog better.
Enjoy the recipe below.
Hearty Vegetable Quinoa with Scrambled Tofu
- 3 yellow beets washed and diced
- 3 1/2 cups skinny baby carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 herbanero pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 15 bella mushrooms sliced
- 5 collard green leafs washed and finely chopped
- 11/2 cups fresh spinach
- Salt to taste
- Place the beets and carrots in a medium sauce pan with the salt.
- Cook in enough water to cover for about 30 minutes or until the beets are tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Cook the quinoa in 4 cups of water for 20 minutes or until all the water has evaporated.
- Then set aside.
- Place the oil into a large frying pan and let it heat up.
- Add in the onion and pepper and cook until the onion gets brown.
- Then add in the tomato paste and stir until incorporated.
- Add in the mushrooms,collard greens and spinach and stir.
- Then cook until wilted down.
- Put the quinoa into a large bowl and then add in the wilted greens and mix.
- Salt to your taste and serve with the scrambled tofu.
- Enough oil to just coat the frying pan
- 1 block of tofu
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the oil into a frying and let it heat up.
- Squeeze the water out of the tofu with a paper towel. (You might need four paper towels to do it.)
- Place the tofu into the frying pan.
- Add in all the other ingredients and then break up the tofu with a fork.
- Let the tofu cook stirring it occasionally.
- Then let it brown on one side.
- Serve with the veggie quinoa.