I don’t eat tacos’s very often however this easy vegan recipe came out so good. I managed to fit a protein,vegetable and starch into one meal while keeping it low oil.
Let’s start with the shell.I didn’t want to purchase just any brand of tortilla because some store brought ones have so many bad ingredients in them. I came across a brand that was made out of corn,water and lime.
Preparing tortillas for your recipe takes some practice however you simply need to heat up one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and then fry the tortilla on both sides. Then wrap the tortillas in a clean dish towel. This will keep them warm and pliable. The last thing you need is dry,hard tortillas.
I also went ahead and used dried chickpeas for this recipe instead of the ones in the can. It took a little more time but you get so much more for around the same price.
This vegan recipe is filling and delicious, great for sharing with friends and it’s very kid friendly.
I used two all natural sauces instead of those cancer causing taco seasoning packs. Yes I said it. I love the flavor that they provide, but I’m not trying to die over it. I am in love with True Foods Barbecue Sauce. They have no artificial ingredients and they hide vegetables like carrots,spinach and butternut squash inside every serving. I then used an all natural tomato ketchup that is made from whole tomatoes. Yes ya’ll I have been paying attention to what I put into my mouth much more lately.
Curry powder and habanero pepper really brought home this dish for me. Both ingredients infused the dish with a true taste of the Caribbean.
Enjoy this easy vegan recipe and don’t forget to share it with friends.
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1/2 habanero pepper minced or your favorite hot pepper
- 1 garlic glove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons all natural vegan barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons all natural ketchup
- Salt to taste
- Your favorite salsa I used Newman’s Own Chunky All Natural
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Shredded purple cabbage
- Small piece of sweet pineapple chopped
- Heat the oil up in a large frying pan.
- Add in the onion and pepper,then cook until brown.
- Add in the curry powder and cook for a few seconds.
- Then add in the chickpeas,barbecue sauce,ketchup and salt.
- Stir until well Incorporated and set aside.
- 1 Tablespoon of oil
- 8 Tortilla Shells
- Heat the oil up in a frying pan and then fry the tortillas for 10 seconds on both sides.
- Assemble your taco by placing two tablespoons of chickpeas inside each tortilla.
- Then add a little lettuce and cabbage inside .
- Top with a little salsa and chopped pineapple,then serve.