What’s for dinner tonight? Look no further than the recipe below! Caribbean meatballs with quinoa and rice is the perfect combination of spicy and sweet. The meal is packed with protein from the lentils,sunflower seeds and quinoa. Did you know that one cup of quinoa has eight grams of protein?
And don’t worry about blandness, the combined ingredients like habanero pepper, garlic,thyme and onion will satisfy the taste buds. The key to this recipe is the sauce. You’ll notice the recipe requires two teaspoons of Gravy Master. Think of Gravy Master like salt; it enhances natural flavors, but without the sodium overload worries. Gravy Master is compiled of sugar, vinegar and spices to simulate a meat-infused flavor. So if you just became a vegan and are craving the now-forbidden plethora of meats, Gravy Master will alleviate the transition! The meatless meatballs (I know, total oxymoron) will have a very similar texture as beef meatballs if you cook it correctly following the below directions.
Make dinner a family affair. Get the kids to help you roll the meatballs while you educate them on the health benefits of this wonderful meal!
- 2 cups brown dried lentils
- 4 cups water
- 6 springs thyme
- 1 onion medium chopped
- 1/2 habanero pepper
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds ground
- Place the first eight ingredients into a medium sauce pan.
- Cook for 30 minutes on low heat or until all the water has evaporated.
- Place the lentils into a large bowl then remove the thyme stems and pepper.
- Then start to break up the lentils with a large spoon.
- Add in the ground sunflower seeds and mix well.
- Then add in the quinoa and mix well.
- Taste it and see if it needs more salt.
- Let sit for 15 minutes until the mixture gets firm enough to form into balls.
- Form into balls and place onto two oil greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 1 hour in a 375 degree oven.
- Take out and place in the saucepan with the sauce.
- Coat each meatball well and serve over the quinoa and rice.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Cook in a medium sauce pan for 20 minutes or until all the water has evaporated.
- 1/2 onion rough chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1 habanero pepper
- 5 springs thyme destemed.
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons gravy master
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place the onion,garlic,pepper,thyme and water into a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the oil into a frying pan and let it heat up.
- Then pour half of the blended seasoning into the frying pan and mix.
- Let cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add in all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well salt to taste and then set aside.
Quinoa and Rice
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup rice Basmati is best
- 4 cups water
- Cook on low heat in a medium saucepan for 20 minutes or until all the water has evaporated.